Got your attention?
If you are interested in becoming a member, you should:
- Register by clicking right here :
- Once you are activated and received the Welcome email (this can take up to 24 hours), log in to the BSD Forum:
- Make your application by creating a new thread in the RECRUITMENT section of the forum. Please list the following information:
- your call sign
- your age (must be over 18 years old)
- your type of internet connection and speed
- your timezone
- your availability during the week and or weekends.
- your approximate number of flight hours already spent on DCS
- your knowledge level with the integrated DCS Mission Editor
- your preferred chopper (you can love them all!)
- your expectations w.r.t BSD.
- After that, during an Introduction Flight, an IP (Instructor Pilot) will evaluate your capabilities. All being well, you will be offered a Trainee position at Black Shark Den.
- You will then have access to documentation, missions, training classes with our IPs and extended access to the BSD Discord server.
As Trainee, Readiness Level 3, you will advance to Readiness Level 2. You will then be given a pilot qualification, and eventually a rank, based on your achievements at BSD. From there you can progress to Readiness Level 1, and beyond. Our Readiness Level system is designed to ensure our pilots have the requisite skills and knowledge to perform their allocated tasks in our (and other's) missions, the designing of which can take mission editors many hours and days of preparation. We don't want to hear a question like "Where do I arm the missiles?" at a mission-critical moment!
BSD Members include active and veteran military pilots and dedicated amateur sim-jockeys from all walks of life, and is currently organised into 2 Companies (US/EU), with Platoons defined by airframe and effective role:
- UH-1H “Huey” Utility Helicopter
- Mi-8 “Hip” Utility Helicopter
- SA342 “Gazelle” Scout Helicopter
- Ka-50 “Black Shark” Attack Helicopter
- More Platoons by Airframe will arrive with the introduction of new helicopter modules from Eagle Dynamics.
- (OH-58D “Kiowa” Scout Helicopter)
- (Mi-24 “Hind” Attack Helicopter)
- (AH-64A "Apache" Attack Helicopter)
This Platoon structure enables pilots to acquire high levels of skills in their chosen airframe and role, and be integrated into mission taskings, through robust but enjoyable training sessions with our Instructor Pilots and Unit Trainers. A pilot may still fly other airframes within BSD, but can only be RL1 qualified in one airframe at a time. RL qualifications can determine suitability for roles within missions, both in-house and with other DCS online organisations and groups.
Black Shark Den offers a Calendar off frequent and regular missions and training events throughout the year, as well as a Persistent Campaign on one of our two full-time servers. Training activity can be on a one-on-one basis as well as in larger groups, depending on IP availability and your preferred airframe. Missions often involve more than 20 pilots with multiple tasks, while ad-hoc sessions can be four or five pilots involved in an AMR on the Persistent Campaign.
We are an open and friendly group of all ages, backgrounds and nationalities with one common interest: Flying the ever expanding range of high-fidelity rotary wing modules in Eagle Dynamics’ Digital Combat Simulator. Our common aim is to enjoy the challenges of co-operative and interactive actions in a simulated battlefield environment flying rotary wing airframes.
If you like the sound of Black Shark Den, jump aboard!