Forum

• Re: Application for Molevitch

by » 8 years ago

Hi Drakoz,

It was seeing your posts in DCS Forums that led me to apply to join BSD. 

I have not been busy with FFB custom work this past couple of months as my days have been occupied with son's summer holidays and building a koi pond in the garden. That's all done nearly, and as the nights draw in I will return to the anglepoise lit desk and soldering iron. I don't think I will ever get to build my own pcb's, but you never know. I am a fixer and a bodger, and a bit lazy too, though I think my mig 21 stick took 4 x longer than if I had built it from scratch, instead of building the grip around the MSFFB grip.... I will post pix on DCS forum and let you know.

Thanks for the offer of help with my dodgy ffb stick. Its a strange problem.... I have used all the existing MS boards and buttons, just repositioned it all. I had some problems at first with the buttons, but they all seem to work now, but the ffb is pulling to a corner, not centring, and the last time I had that problem was when I built the 2 x ffb stick a la PeterP. That was sorted eventually. But I did not expect that on my Mig 21 stick, as I have not tinkered with the ffb, just the buttons... Any ideas on a solution gratefully received!

I will be doing my test flight on Sunday night so hope to meet you then.

Molevitch

by » 8 years ago

Yes, a picture gallery a great idea!

Molevitch

by » 8 years ago

Robin Archer wrote:

Hi BlackWolf,

I look forward to having a crashing competition with you!Most crashes or least crashes in a single mission? :E

I'd say least crashes for a single mission! All joking aside I'm sure you will do just fine. See you Sunday!

by » 8 years ago

Molevitch, I look forward to meeting at the flight tomorrow.  

Regarding the stick, it might be one of the pots is bad, noisy, or the wire got damaged.  The FFB needs to know the position of the stick to know when it has moved the stick to the desired location (it's a feedback loop).  It is less likely you would have damaged the circuit, but very possible in re-arranging it that you damaged a wire, connector, or pot.  This kind of "easy" problem is often very likely the problem.  So I'd focus on those kinds of things first.  Also, ask yourself what else you may have touched that might have resulted in the problem.  

If you don't find anything, then the next thing is to study the circuit board to see if you did anything there (a loose solder blob or piece of wire shorting out something).  Unfortunately, if you don't find any obvious causes like that, then it's time to dive into the circuit itself and see if a component got ruined.  Sadly, it might just be easier to buy another one on eBay.  But if you dive into it that deep, I'll help if I can.  

If you haven't seen it already, this page (http://www.simprojects.nl/ms_siderwinder_ff2_hack.htm) has schematics for the driver circuit and maybe some other interesting info that may help you.  

by » 8 years ago

Hi Drakoz, 

Well let's have a chat tonight. I just realised that Zulu is 1 hour behind GMT.... Yikes! Better have a small espresso.

Molevitch

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.